So basically this challenge is to read 20 books between June 1st and August 5th – which I’ve already done, so here’s the books I’ve read since June 1st. Not all of the are full length novels, some are novella with less than 100 pages.
All the books mentioned below also have a short synopsis to wet your appetite. Most 0f these book I have also reviewed which you should check out too.
Engaged to the Earl by Carolee Croft – At twenty one, Martha Darrington was hoping that she still had several years of carefree cavorting ahead of her. She thinks that her time in Bath is only a restful holiday. However, she is shocked to find that her strict aunt has arranged her engagement to the Earl of Bradfield.
Edward, Earl of Bradfield, would like nothing more but to continue his affair with the possessive Elizabeth Camplyon, while entering into a loveless marriage of convenience with Martha. Seeing that her future husband is not attracted to her, Martha turns to her steadfastly loyal servant Tom for affection. Still, seeing that her wedding is imminent, she tries to win the earl’s love using a magic potion, but the plan backfires, making Tom and the earl fall in love with each other!
Even as she observes her secret lover and her fiancé having passionate sex, Martha is not disheartened, but very aroused. Not one to back away from a challenge, she decides to win the hearts of her men by seducing the
2. Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff – Mackie Doyle is The Replacement – left in the crib of
a human baby sixteen years ago. He has been raised among us. But he is not one of us. Now, he must face the dark creatures of the slag heaps from which he came and find his rightful place – in our world or theirs.
3. Revived by Cat Patrick – Revived is a romance book for young adults with a twist. As romantic as Shiver or One Day; as intense as Before I Fall.
The world fades to nothing, and before I have the chance to think another thought . . . I’m dead. My name is Daisy West and my whole life is a lie. I have died five times. I’ve been Revived five times. With each revival comes a new name, a new town . . . a new life. But this time, I won’t let myself die. This time, I’ve found a love that I can’t let go of. This time, I’m going to make my life my own . . .
The much-anticipated follow-up to Forgotten is finally here. Cat Patrick is leading a new raft of authors writing romance books for teens with real depth and emotion.
4. The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter – Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall. Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.
5. The Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter – Her king dangerous, mesmerising Henry – the boy she sacrificed everything for, is becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then he is abducted in the midst of her coronation.
Forced to take up her role in a bitter war between the Gods, Kate battles to save Henry’s life. Worse, her only hope of victory means turning to Persephone, Henry’s first true love…and the greatest threat to Kate’s future. Kate now knows that rescuing the one she believed to be her destined soulmate could mean losing him forever.
6. The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter – Love or life. Henry or their child. The end of her family or the end of the world. Kate must choose.
During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can’t stop her–until Cronus offers a deal.
In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he’ll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.
With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything. Even if it costs her eternity.
7. The Goddess Legacy by Aimee Carter – For millennia we’ve caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimée Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows.
Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness….
Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal….
Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another….
James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others#151;but never knew true loss before….
Henry/Hades’s solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope….
8. Blake by Lynn Thompson – If Montana had known what she would be confronting that night, she would never have sedated Max. Lottery winner and venture capitalist Montana Dayton is on vacation, sorely needing a break from her business. She purposely had a house built deep in the mountains, away from civilization in hopes to spend the winter alone with her dog Killer. Unfortunately, the universe is conspiring against her. Montana’s getting creepy feelings from something or someone on her property and Rose, her neighbor, is bringing new “friends” into her life. If that wasn’t enough to ruin Montana’s vacation, the dangerously attractive Max surely would! Max has the uncanny ability to show up when he’s not wanted. What Montana doesn’t realize is Max knows what’s out in the woods and it’s his job to find it. Max knows Montana can sense it even though she cannot see it and has decided that she needs to be protected from the unseen danger, but who will protect Montana from Max?
9. Dark Fates by Lynn Thompson – Just in time for nightfall, fun, but still on the dark side.
Valerie’s insomnia is getting worse. Every time she closes her eyes darkness surrounds her and something scary lurks in its wake. If she doesn’t get sleep soon she’ll go crazy, but can she face her dream filled fears?
Amber, Derrick, Lydia, and Josh visit the cemetery on Halloween night under the full moon. Ambers gut instinct tells her not to go, but she never could say no to Derrick…
The local tavern was Ranald’s second home, until one night he didn’t show. The bartender gets worried about him. After visiting the sick old man at his home, the bartender is convinced that once the Scot is better he will be back to warm his favorite barstool…
Bar fights, ghosts, and Summer… Harry doesn’t realize this will be his last night alive. If he’d only changed his ways before the beginning of the evening things might have been different, but Harry was out to have some fun…
The Devil in Disguise
Pete puffed out his chest to try and show some enthusiasm. The last time and only time he fought he almost killed the guy because of his size. But this man was entrancing his woman, along with all of the others and the women either didn’t seem to notice or didn’t care…
Victoria’s restaurant is booming and all it took was a couple of spells; unfortunately, the church down the hill is not happy with her or her methods of successes. Victoria is surprised and not prepared at how far they will go to close her down and run her out of town.
Killian had heard the rumors about this place being haunted but was hard pressed to believe them. At least not until this night, working graveyard shift…
Belle is on a mission to keep bad karma in its place. Katrina wants to play and Lori’s stuck in the middle without realizing it. Can Lori fix her karma before Belle has to fix it for her?
10. Madness by Lynn Thompson – Enter a world of love, loss, teenage angst, and betrayal.
One Way Ticket
One Way Ticket
Normally Tyra had fun with this ruse, but tonight she couldn’t get into the swing of things. She let Liam take the lead and tried desperately to stay planted in the here and now. Tyra relaxed into Liam’s arms; a deep sense of well being settled over her. She lightly stroked Liam’s waist-line with her fingertips. Liam’s muscles took on a more defined shape under her hands. His lips dropped closer to hers with every step they took. She snuggled into him. Amazingly content she thought about hooking up with Liam, thinking in some sad way she was missing out. She glanced up, ready for a kiss. The face that gazed back at her didn’t belong to Liam. It belonged to him. Tyra’s heart dropped into her stomach, all movement stopped. She wrenched herself free of the arms holding her so intimately and stormed out the front door.
Jade studied the hordes of weeping people that herded into the gymnasium. They were all crying because of her. Her lips curled into a sneer as she glanced around for her small group of friends. She couldn’t believe they weren’t here yet. Bored she floated down a couple of bleachers to eavesdrop on a group of her parents friends.
She sat on the pipeline, feet dangling in the air, hands clinging to the metal cable. Calla waited patiently for Broden to show up. Steadying herself to roll with the bridge in the slight breeze she gazed over the amazing view of the canyon before glancing down. Almost one-hundred feet below the river flowed between the canyon walls. How did she get here?Some days she had a hard time remembering. Some days her memory was crystal clear. Every day, her soul screamed for vengeance.
Today she sat searching her memories, wondering again how she got here.
Zack shook his head to chase the memory away. He’d always had this drive to prove himself to his big brother. He didn’t know why.
The sun sat on the horizon, Zack needed to get home. He sighed and trudged at a snails pace along the trail. He never seemed to remember anything good about Isaac. Only bad memories. He’d taken what Isaac said to heart and never tried out for the track team. Maybe he’d try out at the beginning of his junior year. Coach always called him speedy and asked him to join every year, so far. He’d have to get off the anti-depressants, the Xanax, and begin training again. If he could just come up with the will power, and the energy to do it.
He sighed heavily, remembering his promise to Isaac. The depression pushed down harder on his shoulders. If everything went as planned he wouldn’t be alive long enough to become a Junior.
11. News Worthy by Lynn Thompson – Surrounded by the news lately? Have you seen many strange news clips on the same day? I couldn’t help but put those daily clips together into five short stories. Enjoy!
The Snake in the Cereal
Lindsey just wanted a divorce from her abusive ex, but Jason wasn’t about to give her what she wanted. Pushed over the edge she decides to take matters into her own hands. How far will Lindsey go before she gets what she wants?
The Fire in the Mountains
Martha and Carl don’t have the best relationship, but Carl does love his wife. It’s too bad Martha loves her food more than anything else in life. She loves to cook and eat so much that she ignores all of the warning signs telling her she is in danger, including Carl.
The Man with the Bugs
Jerry’s been waiting for his trail for what seems like forever now. He knows he shouldn’t be incarcerated, but the damn phone company handed his records over to the police leaving him sitting in his 6 by 8-foot cell….
Cannabis Cannibalism -vs- The West Nile Virus
It’s crunch time. The Democrats versus the Republicans. Both parties are almost ready to give their speeches to the American voters and both parties want to make it into the White House, but Mother Nature has another plan in store for them…
Bats, Cats, and Wildlife
All Zetha has is her cats, at least that’s what she would like to believe. When her kittens disappear, the events that follow turn her whole existence upside down forcing her to realize what is most important in her life.
12. China Girl by David Belbin – Ryan’s eyes are opened to people-trafficking wh
en he befriends a young Chinese girl who’s come to work for his family. This is a topical drama. Barrington Stoke specialises in books for reluctant, struggling and dyslexic readers.
13. The forest of hands and teeth by Carrie Ryan – In Mary’s world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent.
And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.
But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future – between the one she loves and the one who loves her.
And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?
14. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare – Discover more secrets about the Shadowhunters as they fight to protect the world from demons in the fifth book in the internationally bestselling series.
What price is too high to pay, even for love? Clary is willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? Read all the sensational books in The Shadowhunter Chronicles: The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, The Bane Chronicles, The Dark Artifices, The Last Hours and The Shadowhunter’s Codex.
15. Total Submission 2: Still more erotic stories of female bondage and punishment by various authors – The introduction to this anthology written by Matt Nicholson is great. It not only gives you fair warning over what is come but gives short blurbs so if there’s stories that aren’t to your liking you can just skip ahead to one that does. As most of my readers will know I enjoy BDSM erotica, not fifty shades but the proper gritty, dirty and sometime painful stuff.
The Perils of Sunbathing is a short story based around the theme of breast and nipple torture, which is a dangerous area as it can border on pure torture and forcing of the sexual acts. It was crude and explicit a far cry from Fifty Shades of Grey, but it highlights the needs and differences sexual between man and woman/ husband and wife. I loved the ending and how the story didn’t turn into an internal monologue as some erotica does.
The next story She Flies Through the Air is written by Matt Nicholson who also wrote the introduction and edited the book. This story is based around the D/s relationship and how one completely submits themselves to another. Trying to push each other limit’s to the extreme but within safe comfortable limits for both the dominant and submissive. Matt Nicholson has an amazing writing style. It’s beautiful so much so that you begin to feel every the submissive feels her pain and her pleasure all at once.
16. Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley -Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne. The Bronte siblings have always been inseparable. After all, nothing can bond four siblings quite like life in an isolated parsonage out on the moors. Their vivid imaginations lend them escape from their strict upbringing, transporting them into the glittering world of Verdopolis and the romantic and melancholy Gondal. As they grow older, the children realise that not only are they imagining these glorious places, they are also truly crossing over, as both inhabitants and creators. When one imagined character, the Earl of Northangerland, follows Emily back home, Emily becomes caught up in a tortured romance with him, and it is only when Anne disappears that Charlotte realises she and her siblings must get to the bottom of their abilities in order to save Anne and possibly themselves. Gorgeously written and meticulously researched, Worlds of Ink and Shadow brings to life the upbringing of one of history’s most celebrated literary families.
17. The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter – From familiar fairy tales and legends – Red Riding Hood, Bluebeard, Puss in Boots, Beauty and the Beast, vampires and werewolves – Angela Carter has created an absorbing collection of dark, sensual, fantastic stories.
18. Dirty Work by Julia Bell – Hope has everything that money can buy . . . except happiness. She may be spoilt but Hope’s sure that as far as her preoccupied parents are concerned, she’s hopeless.
Oksana doesn’t even have a mum. And her dad and brother are miles away, left behind in Russia. She thought Europe would offer a better life – instead, bought and sold into prostitution, she feels dirty and used.
Then Oksana and Hope are thrown together in the most terrifying circumstances imaginable. Their only real chance of escape lies with each other, but how do two teenagers with so little in common find the way . . . ?
A tense, shocking novel – with a hint of hope.
19. Rooms by Lauren Oliver – Wealthy Richard Walker has just died, leaving behind his country house full of rooms packed with the detritus of a lifetime. His estranged family – bitter ex-wife Caroline, troubled teenage son Trenton, and unforgiving daughter Minna – have arrived for their inheritance.
But the Walkers are not alone. Prim Alice and the cynical Sandra, long dead former residents bound to the house, linger within its claustrophobic walls. Jostling for space, memory, and supremacy, they observe the family, trading barbs and reminiscences about their past lives. Though their voices cannot be heard, Alice and Sandra speak through the house itself – in the hiss of the radiator, a creak in the stairs, the dimming of a light bulb.
The living and dead are each haunted by painful truths that will soon surface with explosive force. When a new ghost appears, and Trenton begins to communicate with her, the spirit and human worlds collide – with cataclysmic results.
20. Belinda’s Revenge by Carolee Croft – Belinda was an innocent young woman
when the baron played a cruel prank on her, exposing her to ridicule. With supernatural aid, Belinda captures the man who broke her trust. The baron is chained naked to a four-poster bed, completely helpless, with no choice but to submit to her fiery desires. But does Belinda really want revenge, or is she only seeking to mend her broken heart?
Kidnapped and chained to the bed, the baron has no choice but to submit to her desires…
21. The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkins – Mara Dyer knows she isn’t crazy. She knows that she can kill with her mind, and that Noah can heal with his. Mara also knows that somehow, Jude is not a hallucination. He is alive.
Unfortunately, convincing her family and doctors that she’s not unstable and doesn’t need to be hospitalised isn’t easy. The only person who actually believes her is Noah. But being with Noah is dangerous and Mara is in constant fear that she might hurt him. She needs to learn how to control her power, and fast! Together, Mara and Noah must try and figure out exactly how Jude survived when the asylum collapsed, and how he knows so much about her strange ability… before anyone else ends up dead!
22. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – It’s the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We’re out of oil. We’ve wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty, and disease are widespread.
Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS – and his massive fortune – will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation.
For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based in the culture of the late twentieth century. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle.
Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions – and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.
23. Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan – The sexy, funny roller coaster of a love story from David Levithan and Rachel Cohn, which inspired the beloved film starring Michael Cera and Kat Dennings.
Nick and Norah are both suffering from broken hearts. So when Nick sees the girl who dumped him walk in with a new guy he asks the strange girl next to him to be his girlfriend for the next five minutes.
Norah would do anything to avoid conversation with the not-friend girl who dumped Nick, and get over the Evil Ex whom Norah never quite broke up with. And so she agrees.
What follows is an epic first date between two people who are just trying to figure out who they want to be – and where the next great band is playing.
This story plays out over one unforgettable night in New York. One of the great YA novels about falling in love, for everyone who had their hearts broken by Rainbow Rowell’s Eleanor & Park or Jandy Nelson’s I’ll Give You the Sun.
24. Crimson Sky by Amy Braun – Ten years ago, the sky shattered and the Hellions emerged. No one was able to keep them from destroying the city of Westraven. Now that the bloodthirsty monsters rule the skies and have forced the few remaining humans underground, Claire Abernathy lives in a nightmare. She survives by using her skills as an engineer for a ruthless tyrant connected to her mother and father’s past failure.
Then Claire’s world is torn apart when her sister Abby is kidnapped by the Hellions, and Claire herself is taken by dangerous sky pirates known as marauders. But Claire will not be intimidated by them while her sister’s life hangs by a thread, and so she strikes a deal with them: If they help rescue Abby, she will fix their ship and give them the chance to take the revenge they desperately seek.
As Claire fights for her sister’s life, she begins to realize that the Hellions are not the only dangers she’ll face. Burdensome secrets and devastating betrayals threaten her at every turn, and if she loses herself to them, it won’t just be her life that is destroyed…
25. The Sleepless by Nuzo Onoh – An innocent boy is lured to his death by the one person that should have protected him. Someone knows the truth about his disappearance; his little sister, Obelé, a child that hears a secret voice which tells her terrible things no child should know about. Obelé knows too much and must be killed. Her salvation lies in the hands of her new friends, a group of giggling little girls she meets at an abandoned “cursed house”. Except their friendship comes with a terrible price. And suddenly, Obelé starts to ask herself who exactly…or rather, what exactly are her new friends. Worse, how can she free the tormented ghost of her dead brother, trapped by a witchdoctor’s curse? Set amidst the Biafran War, “The Sleepless” follows one child’s struggles against both the natural and supernatural forces that threaten to end her life before the deadly enemy bombs can do so. And perhaps, death from the skies is a better option than the terrifying alternative. “The Sleepless” – Another chilling tale about the restless and vengeful dead by the Queen of African Horror, Nuzo Onoh.
I am currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern – I have heard mixed things about this novel but I am about 50 pages in and loving it so far.
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. The black sign, painted in white letters that hangs upon the gates, reads:
Opens at Nightfall
Closes at Dawn
As the sun disappears beyond the horizon, all over the tents small lights begin to flicker, as though the entirety of the circus is covered in particularly bright fireflies. When the tents are all aglow, sparkling against the night sky, the sign appears.
Le Cirque des Rêves
The Circus of Dreams.
Now the circus is open.
Now you may enter.